Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sudden Death seems to be smash hit!

Judging by the number of people I have heard from, it is apparent that some folks have had problems finding Sudden Death: The Incredible Saga of the 1986 Swift Current Broncos.
All I can ask is that you be patient.
The book has proven to be successful beyond our wildest dreams.
No one, from the writers to the people at Dundurn Press, had any idea what would happen when this book hit the shelves.
Now, it seems, the stores can’t keep it in stock.
Here is a note I received from Jim Hatch, our publicist with Dundurn, on Wednesday:
“I’ve consulted with our marketing and sales department . . . Sudden Death is performing rather strongly. Replenishment orders have been going out daily, and, in fact, Dundurn is going to do a reprint on Dec. 10. This is good news, but some stores may be on backorder as we are reprinting.
“Also, I should mention that Costco has also ordered more books.”
I also have heard from a number of people who have read the book. The response has been positively mind-boggling.

A reader in Calgary:
“I have been a huge fan of junior hockey since the Calgary Centennials. I read your book a couple of weeks ago and again this weekend. I must tell you it is a fascinating read for any hockey fan. The first time I read it I could not put it down or focus on anything else.
The book also left me with more questions on Graham James that I am sure will never be answered. . . . You did an outstanding job with this book and telling such a tragic story.”

A reader in the Portland area, who is an off-ice official with the Winterhawks:
Just finished the book. You did an excellent job. Once I got started I couldn't put it down. I liked the way the book featured most of the people involved individually. I have recommended the book to all the off-ice officials so I'm hoping some will order copies. It is a great chronicle of what these young players go through being so far from home and basically alone. It also points out what a SOB Graham James was. In those days coaches could ruin a player out of spite.”

From a reader in Swift Current:
“Just bought the book yesterday and finished reading it today. Great read about a difficult time in my city’s life. Very interesting and fascinating look into a players perspective of our city, the crash, the team, management and of course Graham James. I had seasons tickets to the Broncos for their first 8 years and so all the players names were known to me and found the book a very compelling read. . . . Thank you for your part in putting together this book. I will be recommending this book to all friends and acquaintances."

From a former WHL player:
“I just received the book, Sudden Death on Monday and read it cover to cover today (I couldn't put it down) . . . very, very well done and I enjoyed it. You should be congratulated for your work and efforts and I will be telling everyone I know they should purchase this book. Very thought provoking whether it is all worth it sometimes . . . hockey was hard back then at the best of times, but the kids on the Swift team went through more than people can possibly imagine.”

So please be patient. More copies are on the way to stores everywhere. You also are able to order it from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com.

There has never been a subscription fee for this blog, but if you enjoy stopping by here, why not consider donating to the cause? Just click HERE. . . and thank you very much.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

  © Design byThirteen Letter

Back to TOP